Cheyenne Wells got its name from the Cheyenne Indians and their water well. The original Town was located near the fork of the Smokey Hill River, which is five miles north of its present location. When it was located north, it was a regular stop for the stagecoach line from Kansas City to Denver.
The Kansas Pacific Railroad reached the Town of Cheyenne Wells on March 3, 1870. The Town had a population of 695 then. Cheyenne Wells was the division point of the Union Pacific Railroad from 1890 to 1908. The Town was incorporated on March 14, 1890. When it was incorporated it had an area of 520 acres.
Cheyenne Wells is the County seat of Cheyenne County and has a population of approximately 920. The climate and environment are very healthy. The water supply is pure and unlimited.